FCC Reduces Vanity Call Fees

From the ARRL Letter, 9/7/07:The FCC will reduce
the regulatory fee to obtain or renew an Amateur
Radio vanity call sign by more than 40 percent starting
September 17. In a Report & Order (R&O)
released August 6, “Assessment and Collection of
Regulatory Fees for Fiscal Year 2007,” in MD
Docket 07-81, the Commission will cut the fee
from its current $20.80 to $11.70. This marks the lowest
fee in the history of the current vanity call sign
program. The FCC is authorized by the
Communications Act of 1934 (as amended) to collect
vanity call sign fees to recover the costs associated
with that program. The vanity call sign fee has fluctuated
over the 11 years of the current program — from a low
of $12 to a high of $50. The FCC says it anticipates
some 14,700 Amateur Radio vanity call sign
“payment units” or applications during the next fiscal year,
collecting $171,990 in fees from the program.

The vanity call sign regulatory fee is payable not
only when applying for a new vanity call sign, but
also upon renewing a vanity call sign for a new term.
The first vanity call sign licenses issued under the
current Amateur Radio vanity call sign program that
began in 1996 came up for renewal last year. Call
signs issued prior to 1996 are not considered vanity
call signs, even if the holder was able to request a
specific call sign.

Amateur Radio licensees may file for renewal only
within 90 days of their license expiration date. All radio
amateurs must have an FCC Registration Number (FRN)
before filing any application with the Commission. Applicants
can obtain an FRN by going to the ULS and clicking on the
“New Users Register” link. You must supply your Social
Security Number to obtain an FRN.

The ARRL VEC will process license renewals for vanity
call sign holders for a modest fee. The service is available
to ARRL members and nonmembers, although League members
pay less. Routine, non-vanity renewals continue to be free
for ARRL members. Trustees of club stations with vanity call
signs may renew either via the ULS or through a Club Station
Call Sign Administrator, such as ARRL VEC. License application
and renewal information and links to the required
forms are available on the

ARRL Amateur Application Filing FAQ Web page
The FCC’s forms page also offers
the required forms.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.