Since the weather is still very cool here on Long Island, I decided to try out my new “Mount-It! Car Desk” for this activation. Werthiem is my first attempt at using the table for any deployment.
While I do like the convenience of the new table and the fact that it keeps me out of the weather, like anything else in the world, is not perfect. But for reading, using a laptop, eating or playing Amateur Radio, it’s another good, inexpensive tool for general use.
Benefits of the Mount-It! Car Desk:
- A car desk is a great way to activate a park from the back seat of your car during nasty weather.
- The car desk is sturdy enough to hold my KX3, 3Ah 12vdc LIfePO4 battery, UTC clock and notepad sized logbook.
- I plan to use the car desk for other tasks like using my laptop and reading while killing time between doctor appointments.
- The car desk can be used with the steering wheel or attached to the headrest of the front seat for back seat operations.
- The unit is lightweight so you can easily take it with you wherever you go. It’s also easy to set up and take down, which makes it that much more convenient in a pinch.
- The car desk is a stable surface to work on. The angle of the desk can be altered for use with a QRP rig, laptop or angled for reading.
Check out the Mount-It! Car Desk here
Watch The Mount-It Car Desk Video here
My first impression is that the car tray is not rock solid. When using the onboard KX3 with the QRPGUYS paddle kit (shown in photo), there is a very slight up and down movement to the tray, mostly due my heavy hand leaning on it.
Initially I was a bit flustered trying to work my first few contacts with the slight motion of the tray but after a short time I was able to compensate for the movement. Of course using an alternative plug-in paddle would have resolved that problem.
The car desk easily handled the weight of the KX3, Bioenno battery and my heavy handedness. I’d say that the car desk could easily handle the weight of any current QRP rig around.
What can I use a car desk for?
You can use a car desk for a variety of tasks, including eating, working on a laptop, or reading.
How do I use a car desk?
To use a car desk, simply attach it to your steering wheel or front seat headrest and place your belongings on the surface. You can then adjust the height and tilt of the desk to find the most comfortable position for you.
Is a car desk safe to use?
Yes, a car desk is safe to use as long as you follow the instructions. Make sure to attach the desk securely to your steering wheel or front seat headrest.
Where can I buy a car desk?
You can buy a car desk online or at most automotive stores.
How much does a car desk cost?
The price of a car desk varies depending on the brand and model. However, most car desks cost between $20 and $50.
Do I need any special tools to use a car desk?
No, you don’t need any special tools to use or install a car desk. However, some desks may come with a set of instructions that include helpful tips for installation.
Using the car desk definitely helped with my activation. Rather than leaning over to the left when I had to place the KX3 on the folded left rear seat, it was a pleasure to sit forward while working and logging my contacts.
With a roof mounted Hamstick and 10 watts CW, it’s always a surprise to find out just how far a signal with travel. During this activation I worked as far west as Oregon (K7GT) and to the east it was Poland (SP9RXP).